Gabions have come a long way from the days where they were mainly used for civil engineering purposes. (Read the full story on the gabion history here.) For a while now, gabions have been a big hit at garden shows and have rolled their way into one of the top spots of décor trends. Here are some rocking gabion ideas for your home and garden.
Bench Press: The Gabion Bench
Finding that perfect bench for your garden can be quite a challenge: To find your perfect bench you need to navigate through countless stores and juggle your budget and current décor trends all at the same time. But what if you could make your own bench? Well, turns out you can even make one that’ll brave the weather for you!
One of the criticisms about gabions is that they are often too bulky to be used in gardens and spaces where a delicate look is desired.
This gabion bench formed part of Poppyhead Consultancy‘s award-winning garden at the 2013 Grand Designs Live. The use of smooth rocks in a light colour creates a soft palette. Add some scatter cushions and a lovely flower bed with some lighting et voilà, a gabion bench fit for even the most delicate of gardens.
Let your terrace wall double as seating with this bench idea. Prop some cushions on there if you feel like it and make it the ultimate hangout.
Hot Rocks: The Gabion Firepit and Grill
There’s nothing nicer than gathering around a bonfire with friends and enjoying an evening together. But ever since braais were built into walls, having a nice fire to mingle around became a luxury. Not anymore though! Gabion firepits are the perfect solution. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they’re also highly functional and economic.
- It won’t crack. So in 20 years, it’ll look just as good.
- The pockets between the rocks allow airflow so the wall can be as high as you like.
- Because of these pockets, the outer wall never heats up
- The use of any brick/rock material is only limited by your imagination.
- If you build it well from the start you can use your gabion firepit as a winter soak allowing excess rainwater to drain off your paving and into the unused firepit.
You can also decide to spruce things up a bit like landscape architect Jamie Durie did with this ornamental gabion firepit design.
Rock ’em Pots: Gabions as Planters for Plants
When you live in a small complex or have a small garden, it’s easy to feel as though you’ll never be able to have a beautiful garden. Luckily, gabions offer a solution to just that! From custom pots to wall planters, there’s really no limit to what you can do with gabions!
If you’re really cramped for space, you can consider a gabion planter wall. You can decide whether or not you want to stick to traditional green foliage, shake things up a bit with flowers like petunias, or decide to take the radical approach and use it as a hanging herb garden!
If you enjoy gardening but your garden shed is always a mess, you could look at using this gabion planter wall as a modified version of Suzelle DIY’s Garden Station.
Water on the Rocks: Waterfalls and Raised Ponds
Water features are some of the most basic, yet beautiful features you can have in a garden.
Another option is to opt for a raised pond. Using much the same principle as gabion fish hatcheries, a raised pond can become quite the statement piece.
Turn the Tables
Finding a nice table for your garden can be tricky. So why not make your own? Play around with designs, colours, and the size of the rocks and create your dream table! Have a look at this wood pallet bench and gabions.
Sources and further reading
- 27 Reasons to Incorporate Gabion Baskets into your Landscaping
- 23 Attractive and Practical Gabion Ideas To Enhance Outdoor Space
- Gabion-style outdoor table set
- How to Build a Gabion Fire Pit
- Contemporary urban kitchen show garden
- 30 Backyard Fire Pit Design Ideas
- Decoratiuni de gradina > Gratar (barbeque)
- Garden Walls: Gabion Evolves From Functional to Fabulous
- Decorate Me: Gabion
- Contemporary Landscape With Decomposed Granite Patio Design by AJW Kandscape Design
- The balcony can become garden. You just have to dare
- Garden fence – a boundary that you raise yourself
- Container plants. 40 amazing ideas for the garden
- Gabion design ideas
- Gabion Walls – What They Are And How To Use Them In Your Landscape
- Fascinating Garden Decorating Ideas
- Pool Oasis With a View
- DIY: Pallet Wood Bench and Gabion Table